Mather Cabin

Historical Marker: This cabin originally stood on property in the Gabriel Mills area owned by Samuel Mather, a miller and blacksmith. Built in the early 1850’s from squared logs and hand-hewn limestone, it housed church, school and Masonic Lodge meetings before it became a dwelling. Emile Jamail, then owner of the property, donated it to the City of Georgetown in 1975. As a community project to celebrate the Bicentennial, it was moved there and restored. By 2004, the cabin was deteriorating rapidly, and lack of City funding prompted a decision to demolish it. In keeping with its objective to save County heritage, the Old Settlers Association assumed the task of moving and restoring the cabin as closely to its original condition as possible. Samuel Mather (1812-78) served as postmaster (1858-63) and Worshipful Master of Mount Horeb Lodge No. 137 at Gabriel Mills. He was father of the noted Indian fighter, Andrew Mather (1851-1929).

>> Williamson County Historical Commission

Samuel Mather brought slaves with him to the settlement and they are credited by Mather’s great grandson, Charley Mather, with building most of the rock fences around the village. Several such fences remain on the Jamail place in 1976.