MILLER, Frank Wesley, Jr.

The flags are flying at half- mast today in Lago Vista, TX as his family and friends mourn the death of Frank Wesley Miller, Jr., 75, a resident of the city for 27 years.

Born in Peekskill, NY on October 4, 1937, to Frank and Irene (Roake) Miller, Frank left this life for his Heavenly home on January 10, 2013, when he died unexpectedly at the LSU Interim Hospital while in New Orleans, LA.

Frank is survived by his wife, Sandra Ravet Miller of Lago Vista; sons Frank Wesley Miller III of Woodlands, TX and Jack Hines and wife Connie (grandchildren Jacob and Ian) of Cedar Park, TX; daughter Suzanne Casey and husband John of Sarasota, FL, (grandchildren Katie of Orlando, FL and Andrew of Maui, Hawaii); stepdaughters Traci DeStena and husband David of Ft Worth, TX (Heather, Michelle, and Kathryn Kumpf, husband Ben, great-grandson Maddox); Stefanie Baughman and husband Kip of Spring, TX (Ashley and Connor); and stepson Steve Ravet and wife Teresa of Woodside, CA (Alexander, Christopher, Benjamin, Dominic and Evita), sister Doris Hogan of Hopewell Junction, NY, and numerous nieces and nephews. His parents, two sisters (Marion Bowdren and Dorothy Kincannon), first wife Eileen Mulvey, and late wife of 34 years, Susan Allaire Miller, preceded Frank in death.

Frank grew up in Peekskill, NY with 3 older sisters who were like “second” mothers to him. He played baseball in high school, and a highlight while a teen was dancing with American Bandstand on television. After graduation, he helped manage a family-owned delicatessen until beginning his law enforcement career as a police officer in Putnam Valley. He was a member of the National Guard Reserves. After attending the NYC Police Academy, he was a NYC police officer for 14 years before retiring. He and Sue lived in Peekskill and raised their family there while Frank worked in the Bronx. A favorite family memory is when the NY Yankees Stadium was turned over to the officers and families of the 44th Precinct for a play day. Frank and Sue were actively involved with the Yorktown Players until moving to Austin in 1983. In 1986, they moved to Lago Vista where he served as Police Chief for 14 years until retiring in 2000 and was a recent Municipal Judge appointee. He was known for his people skills and a fair and impartial approach to enforcing the law. Frank will be remembered as a loving husband, father, grandfather, brother, uncle and friend, and his death leaves a hole in so many lives. Family celebrations and enjoying time with grandchildren were high priorities for “Poppy”. He loved people and never missed an opportunity to meet a stranger. He was always willing to talk if they were willing to listen.

After moving to Lago Vista, he and Sue were instrumental in starting a community theater group, the Lago Vista Players, where they performed in numerous plays. His other interests included playing golf and following the NY Giants, the NY Yankees, and the Longhorns. He could never get enough of Italian food, especially at Reales in Austin. He and Sue spent many vacations in Hilton Head with family and friends at their condo, and he and Sandy enjoyed the last 7 summers staying on Sequim Bay in WA, where he was given an early surprise 75th birthday party when his family visited this past summer. Frank was a member of St. Mary’s Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church, the 44 Forever Club, the Patrolman Benefits Association, the Men’s Golf Association, a charter member of the Knights of Columbus at St. Mary’s, and former member of the Lion’s Club. He also volunteered with Meals on Wheels.

Recitation of the Rosary will be at 7 p.m., January 18, at St Mary Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church, 6100 Lohman Ford Road in Lago Vista. A memorial Mass and celebration of Frank’s life will be at 2 p.m., January 19, at the same location. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorial donations to the Friends of the Lago Vista Police Department, the St Mary’s Society of St Vincent de Paul, or to a charity of your choice .

Obituary and memorial guestbook available online at

Published in Austin American-Statesman on January 17, 2013