Pickle-Mason House

Historical Marker: Master carpenter Andrew Porter Pickle (1833-1908) built this house for his family in 1871. It remained in the Pickle family until 1913, when it was sold to Augusta K. and Sarah Zora Mason Davis. Following their deaths, it remained in the family. The home consists of two structures under one roof. The rear part features shiplap siding and the front exhibits milled siding and a five-bay facade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1988

>> Williamson County Historical Commission

Colonel Charles C. Mason came to Texas in 1851. He was one of the original pioneer settlers of Bagdad in Williamson County where he acquired thousands of acres of land during the 1850s and 1860s. With the help of slaves, which he brought from North Carolina, he operated a large cattle business. He was left financially ruined at the close of the Civil War. The cattle brand CM that he registered on May 31, 1856 belongs to us now, making it in the family for 131 years.

Mather Cabin

Historical Marker: This cabin originally stood on property in the Gabriel Mills area owned by Samuel Mather, a miller and blacksmith. Built in the early 1850’s from squared logs and hand-hewn limestone, it housed church, school and Masonic Lodge meetings before it became a dwelling. Emile Jamail, then owner of the property, donated it to the City of Georgetown in 1975. As a community project to celebrate the Bicentennial, it was moved there and restored. By 2004, the cabin was deteriorating rapidly, and lack of City funding prompted a decision to demolish it. In keeping with its objective to save County heritage, the Old Settlers Association assumed the task of moving and restoring the cabin as closely to its original condition as possible. Samuel Mather (1812-78) served as postmaster (1858-63) and Worshipful Master of Mount Horeb Lodge No. 137 at Gabriel Mills. He was father of the noted Indian fighter, Andrew Mather (1851-1929).

>> Williamson County Historical Commission

Samuel Mather brought slaves with him to the settlement and they are credited by Mather’s great grandson, Charley Mather, with building most of the rock fences around the village. Several such fences remain on the Jamail place in 1976.